123 19th Street NE, Watertown, SD (605) 886-0123
The mission of New Horizons is to support people to achieve self-reliance, exercise control over their lives and realize their dreams and desires.
New Horizons provides individualized supports ranging from limited support services up to 24-hour supports for people with intense needs. Today, New Horizons provides supports to over 185 individuals in a variety of settings.
We offer vocational training for people by negotiating with area businesses for jobs that can be completed in our workshop. The workshop consists of a food service and tabletop assembly/packaging. Our intent is to offer a variety of work environments that can develop work skills while earning a wage.
We also have alternative programs to provide therapeutic and/or leisuire activities. This is for the person who does not benefit from a full day of work because of reaching retirement age or for whom a sensory stimulation or communication goal may be primary rather than vocational training.
Community Services helps people find jobs in the community. They work closely with the local Vocational Rehabilitation office and businesses in town. Community Services provides:
|Job Class Instruction||Vocational Counseling|
|Vocational Planning||Job Shadowing|
|Training Sites||Trial Placement|
|Job Development||Targeted Jobs Tax Credit|
|On-the-Job Training||Follow Along Services|
New Horizons also provides Project Skills, a job program for students with disabilities.
We have so many success stories and examples of the benefits available to employers when they hire people with disabilities. Read more about it on our employment services page.
The medical needs of people supported by New Horizons are monitored and managed by the Nursing department, in addition to the person's physicians. Examples of services for the people we support include, but are not limited to:
* Scheduling and accompanying to medical appointments
* Administration of medications
* Monitoring of medications and their side effects
* Treatment of illnesses and injuries
Nursing is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
New Horizons provides a wide array of residential options. Supports are individualized for the person.
* Community Services is for our most independent population. The staff provide minimal direct care as well as support coordinaton/case management for the people in this program. Contact may be daily or weekly depending on services.
* Alternative houses are homes in the community owned by a private party. People living in this home generally have staff available during waking hours, but are able to be unsupervised at night.
* Supervised apartments are available in agency owned buildings and in the community. Staff are available during waking hours and overnight.
* Group homes are agency owned buildings for people that need the highest level of support. Staff are available during waking hours and overnight. Two of our five group homes are retirement homes.
123 19th Street NE
Watertown, SD 57201
1812 6th Ave SE, Suite 2, Aberdeen 57401
165B Airport Ave, Brookings 57006
118 W. Center, Suite #1, Madison, SD 57042